The Hermann Garden Club was founded in 1937 “To stimulate the love and knowledge of gardening and foster beauty in the community.”
Garden Club Goodwill Projects
The Garden Club planted and maintains the garden at the Hermann Train station, the Riverfront Park flower beds, George Johnson Park, and the Hermannplatz entry statue garden. The Club provided boxwood bushes to surround the new veterans’ memorial on Market Street, as well as ground cover plants. New community projects are always under discussion.
In 2018 the Club partnered with the Tree Commission on a project to plant 80 drought resistant trees in the Lower City Park. The GC purchased 15 of the trees and authored a successful grant application that brought in funds from the Hermann Community Fund for project use.
In 2001 the Garden Club instigated the formation of the Hermann Tree Commission. This, along with efforts of the commission, resulted in Hermann being recognized as a Tree City U.S.A. in 2004. We continue to work closely with the commission through our mutual members. The Commission chairman has participated in the Garden Club for decades, and is a founding member of the commission.
The Garden Club encourages students in the high school horticulture department and provides financial and physical assistance for their greenhouse project. Additionally, the Club sponsors yearly scholarships for area students studying horticulture or a related field.
Scholarship awards are made possible by the Club’s annual garden tours and silent auction event, which is always held during the first weekend in June. 2019 marked the 25th year of our garden tours.
In 2016 the Garden Club joined the Community Fund of the Ozarks.